Monday, February 7, 2011

Sugar Coma and Super Bowl

Yesterday was the big game! Although I was quietly mourning the fact that my beloved Colts weren't playing this year, we still had to have a party! It is the Super Bowl! I think I get my love of all things football from my parents. They didn't throw many parties when I was growing up, but they threw a big party for the Super Bowl every year. Now I can't go without at least doing something on Super Bowl Sunday even if i'm not really pulling for one team or the other. So, yesterday we had a few friends over, ate chips and pizza, and played some Balderdash. This happy day coincided with my lovely friend Angela's (or as we call her AngMo) birthday. For my friends' birthdays, I let them pick any dessert (or meal for my non-sweet loving friends) and I make it for them. Angela's choice did not disappoint. She found a Paula Deen recipe on foodnetwork.com which can only be described as decadent. It was a chocolate layer cake with cheesecake filling. It was AMAZING. Here is the recipe:

Cheesecake Filling
  • 2 8 oz pck. cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 tbsp almond liqueur
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a 9 inch baking pan with aluminum foil. Grease aluminum foil. In large bowl, beat cream cheese until creamy. Add sugar, beating until smooth. Add 1 egg at a time, beating until well blended after each addition. Add sour cream and almond liqueur. Pour batter in prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes is up, turn off oven and leave the cheesecake in the oven for 1 hour. After 1 hour, remove from pan. Chill and cover for 4 hours.

Chocolate Cake Recipe
  • 1 box chocolate cake mix
  • 1/2 cup almond liqueur
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 9-inch cake pans. Combine all ingredients and beat until smooth. Pour into prepared pans. Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Let cool completely.

Assembly
  • Place one of the chocolate cakes on a plate. Spread a layer of frosting over the top of the cake.
  • Place cheesecake on top of chocolate cake. Spread frosting over top of cheesecake.
  • Place second chocolate cake on top of cheesecake. Spread frosting over top and sides.
Eat and die of happiness :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment