Friday, January 21, 2011

I Love The 90s

One of the best things about law school? Awesome theme parties! Seriously, future lawyers know how to party. This weekend (in celebration of the start of the new semester) is our Rad 90s party. I've been reminiscing all week as I searched for my perfect costume. I had to share some of my favorite 90s things!

Alternative Rock

Seriously what's not to love about 90s music? Not the pop stuff that dominated the last half of the decade, but the whiney, melodramatic alternative rock of the early and mid-90s! I love 90s music. In fact, up until some friends of mine introduced me to new music last year (Hello Avett Brothers!) I was still listening to those mid-90s bands. Specifically the best band of the decade, Counting Crows!



I love this band! They weren't the only ones though...Matchbox Twenty, Third Eye Blind, Jane's Addiction, Better Than Ezra, Red Hot Chili Peppers...the list goes on and on.

Awesome Teen Shows/Movies

Maybe it was because I was a teenager in the 90s, but I personally think it was a pretty great decade for teen soap operas. 90210, Melrose Place, and of course, my favorite:


Seriously, what is not to love about that show? Also for the record, I'm a total Pacey fan! And of course, you can't talk about the 90s and awesome teenage love stories and not talk about:


I thought this was the most romantic movie ever made when I was 14. My 26-year old self still thinks its pretty awesome! I'm halfway tempted to go as Rose to the party tonight, but I think its too late to find a giant hat. And i'm not going naked.

Ridiculous Trends

Another reason to love the 90s? Ridiculous trends! I still laugh at some of the stuff that was popular then. I mean who really wanted to wear these:




I did, however, own at least 27 pairs of gap overalls in the 6th grade. Including yellow, pink, and green. Yes, as a matter of fact, I was awesome.

And then the mother of all ridiculous trends. This dance:


I mean really America?

That's my time warp through the 90s. We're going thrift store shopping for costumes, so i'll post pictures of the party tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment